Go Back   Virginia Krawlers Forums > Tech Talk > Towing

Towing Anything realted to getting your rig to/from the trails. Tow rigs, trailers, etc.

Custom Search

Please assist Virginia Krawlers continue to grow by letting others know that this community of Virginia based wheelers is online. If you post on another off-road forum of any kind, please think about adding a link to VirginiaKrawlers.com in your signature block on those forums. This has proven to be the most effective way to let other off-road enthusiasts know how to find us.

WE HAVE TWO PLACES TO PICK UP VAK MERCHANDISE, CLICK HERE TO CHECK THEM OUT!

Old 02-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #31
yfzracr89
Mall Crawler

Send a message via AIM to yfzracr89

We just sold the Excursion and bought a brand new 6.4 F350 king ranch for the "farm" (tax write off) i do all the towing for my parents in the summer with the horse farm but i havnt seen it yet cause im at school still. will get pictures soon

'02 Chevy S10 with a 6" superlift, 2" BL. HYPERTECH custom tune, K&N, custom dual exhaust, 33x12.5x15R truxs MT's and TSL's
yfzracr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #32
MichaelMaxim
Mall Crawler

Send a message via AIM to MichaelMaxim

Just got my tow rig two months ago...

05 F-150 Lariat with the 5.4L gas guzzler... Has a great factory sound system and heated seats... gotta love them!

Bottoms Up Rock Racing Team #515 & 101 - 2009 Crew
http://www.bottomsuprockracing.com
MichaelMaxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #33
LostOne
Parking Lot Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMaxim View Post

05 F-150 Lariat with the 5.4L gas guzzler... Has a great factory sound system and heated seats... gotta love them!
If there ever was a rear end that needed the oil changed it is those.

We run these at work. The only problems we have had with them is the rears. If your towing, get a high capacity cover (I like and use Mag-Hytec and I am also working on becoming a dealer for them) and install some good oil (I like AMSOIL ) Even running Amsoil I change it out every 25,000 miles. I bet out of all the F-150's we have, I have had to rebuild the rears in 50% of them by 75,000 mile. I just started using Amsoil in them last year so I guess we will see how it works out.

I talked to my boss last week and he said they have one sitting there waiting for me to rebuild when we come back from this extended furlough
Contact me at Info@worldsbestlube.com
CLICK HERE for a free AMSOIL catalog

Last edited by LostOne; 02-18-2009 at 11:55 AM.
LostOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #34
blthomas
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostOne View Post
If there ever was a rear end that needed the oil changed it is those.

We run these at work. The only problems we have had with them is the rears. If your towing, get a high capacity cover (I like and use Mag-Hytec and I am also working on becoming a dealer for them) and install some good oil (I like AMSOIL ) Even running Amsoil I change it out every 25,000 miles. I bet out of all the F-150's we have, I have had to rebuild the rears in 50% of them by 75,000 mile. I just started using Amsoil in them last year so I guess we will see how it works out.

I talked to my boss last week and he said they have one sitting there waiting for me to rebuild when we come back from this extended furlough
Is there anything other than the rears that is signifigantly noticeable needing maintenance in long term use on these trucks?

I know you said that is the only problem, but is that for real?

I've been looking at that setup really hard lately. Hard to justify a big truck like mine for the use it gets. Of course it would be cheaper just to run what I have into the dirt. So that is a argument in my head all the time.

Maxim, have you towed anything with it yet? How does it do?

What is your mileage running around town or down the highway unloaded except people?

Thanks
blthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #35
MichaelMaxim
Mall Crawler

blthomas - I haven't towed a single thing yet. I just bought a trailer for the Jeep today from NovaTJ and I pick it up tomorrow. I'll be able to report back to you in about a month after we take it on our first wheelin' trip with the Jeep in tow.

Mileage... I get about 14-15 mpg running around town and closer to 18-19 mpg on the highway. She's a thirsty beast for sure.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #36
1TN LSYJ
You're eating woodchips!

Send a message via AIM to 1TN LSYJ

Quote:
Mileage... I get about 14-15 mpg running around town and closer to 18-19 mpg on the highway. She's a thirsty beast for sure.

that makes me feel better about my last tank.. right at about 17mpg, so its been steadily increasing as the motor and things break in.
1TN LSYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #37
blthomas
Weekend Warrior

I've heard from some of the guys here at work with Dmax's that you can hit 20mpg easy after breakin. You gonna tune it or wait for the warranty to expire?

Maybe I need another diesel, I had a 7.3 IDI and a PSD, the PSD had more oopmh but the IDI won in mileage.

Thanks for the tip Michael, I've heard they do pretty good for a 1/2 ton. All I'll probably ever tow is my pile, and not that often. Been thinking really hard about a DD that would be a F150.

Do you know what gears it has?
blthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #38
1TN LSYJ
You're eating woodchips!

Send a message via AIM to 1TN LSYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blthomas View Post
I've heard from some of the guys here at work with Dmax's that you can hit 20mpg easy after breakin. You gonna tune it or wait for the warranty to expire?

we've got a list of needs/wants for the truck.. most of them are cosmetic because honestly, it doesn't need anything power wise.. even with a jeep on the trailer, I can run away from most people in other lifted vehichles. Granted, once you start running 80mph down the interstate with a jeep like mine on the back, you start to seriously burn through some diesel, haha.

I am thinking as far as "power adders" we'll stick with an exhaust (more because it sounds nice than it adds power) and an intake, (more just because we will open the exhaust, might as well let it breath a little easier) I may get a tunner of some kind for it because I am thinking about upping the tire size, so I might get something that will be able to adjust the speedo, but nothing too crazy as far as power goes.
1TN LSYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #39
MichaelMaxim
Mall Crawler

To be honest, I am not sure what gears are in this one. It did come with a towing package... not sure if ones with towing packages came with lower gears or not in 05...
Old 02-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #40
AlxJ64
Weekend Warrior

Yea, the more miles you put on the new diesels the better the mileage is. I am averaging about 19.5 running around town in Hampton roads, which is a mix of city and highway. On the last road trip the Overhead console said I was getting 23.6 avg, but hand calcs said it was closer to 24.0 and 24.2 on the return trip. Theres nothing quite like getting 700 miles between fill ups with still 150 miles of fuel left in the bottom of the tank at the stop to fill. Last towing trip, I had my stupid tall deck over gooseneck loaded with an SAS'd S10 Blazer on 37s with too much lift and still managed to pull about 15.5 mpg running a steady 70 mph from C-ville down to Va. Beach.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:59 PM   #41
LostOne
Parking Lot Hero

Quote:
To be honest, I am not sure what gears are in this one. It did come with a towing package... not sure if ones with towing packages came with lower gears or not in 05...

Here is the funny part. Even with the tow package, the lower gear set is an option. There is a tag under one of the diff cover bolts that tells you whats in it.

We have 10 or so F-150s at our plant at any one time. Nothing major, just lots of rear end problems.
Contact me at Info@worldsbestlube.com
CLICK HERE for a free AMSOIL catalog
LostOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:31 AM   #42
Marinedawg
Weekend Warrior

Alex how do you like your MegaCab? I am looking at one now "on the net" that I am interested in. Just hope I can find one when I get back. I emailed them about it but they have yet to get back to me. I'm jealous of you guys. I have a month and half left before I get to wheel my Heep and buy a truck/trailer.

'07 Ram 2500 CTD with 2 bolt ons.

I shaved my balls for this?
Marinedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #43
AlxJ64
Weekend Warrior

I love my truck. It rides stiffer than the Chevy and Ford trucks do, but I can put some decent weight in the bed of mine and it actually makes the truck ride alot better, and still doesn't even show.

Parking is always a fun adventure, but once you get the women in your life understanding that the wheelbase of the truck and a typical grocery store parking lot are two things that were design without the other in mind, and that they will have to walk, then you will be fine. There is SOOO much room in the back cab half of these trucks. People that have ridden in my truck still get in it and freak out about how big the cab is. Its great for camping and wheeling. Plenty of room for 4 adults and a dog in the cab, with gear behind the back seat still, and a gooseneck trailer with a rig on Full width axles and the truck goes on up the road just fine. I have NEVER found myself in a position where I was wishing I had more power out of my 5.9 Cummins. It amazes me all the time. When I kick it in tow haul mode, it will bark 2nd gear while empty. I used to flat tow my TJ, and on dry asphalt, unless I was easy on it, I could just smoke the tires on through 3rd gear comming away from a stop light. Only did that once or twice.

The ony issues I have had and found are quazi common. The rear door windows seam to be brittle from the factory. I had one catch a rock while parked on the roadside doing some survey work once, and by the time I made it back to my office the crack had spread all through the window. The truck only had 1200 miles on it then. The cheapest glass repair quote was for $792. So I had State farm take care of it ($50 dollar glass deduction), so just make sure you have good comprehensive on stuff like that. Mine has the Infinity Sound system in it, and it sounds awesome. The A/C will freeze you to death on a 105 degree 98% humidity day, and the heat, once the truck warms up, will melt the polar icecaps. I haven't really had any issues with my transmission.. (knock on wood) as most people claim that the transmissions in the dodge trucks are trash. A friend of mine's dad has my exact truck more or less, just 4 door long bed rather than Mega-cab short bed, and he grenaded the Transmission in his but was pushing nearly 30,000 lbs GVCW between the load of Rockwell axles on the gooseneck and the truck itself on a 3/4 ton truck, while running around on I-80 near Hazleton Pa.... So yea that might have been what caused it.

All in all, I really am pleased with my truck. I have a performance filter on it, and I bought and installed a Muffler delete pipe. The truck still isn't that loud, at least not to me. The duramax guys I know whine about the sound of it though. But thats why they drive a duramax truck I guess.

Last edited by AlxJ64; 02-19-2009 at 08:37 AM.
AlxJ64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #44
Marinedawg
Weekend Warrior

Sweet. I have been doing quite a bit of searching for one. I found a few up in NOVA and will be making a few trips up there to move the wife this spring. So when I get back I am selling my car then immediatley buying a truck. I know I want a Ram and hopefully I can find a Mega Cab. Gives the chocolate turd a bunch of room to move aound instead of trying to ride up with us. I owned a 98 quad cab on 35's when I was in so the wife knows parking will be a challenge in it. Figured that one out after she wrecked my last truck parking it. Besides I don't think she will be driving it much since we are buying her a MB. To many cars in our stable. Need more big vehicles. Thanks for the input.

'07 Ram 2500 CTD with 2 bolt ons.

I shaved my balls for this?

Last edited by Marinedawg; 02-19-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Marinedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #45
STOWE
Weekend Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to STOWE

Quote:

My brother has the same truck, same year too... he hauls his junk everywhere with no issues. His trailer doesnt have brakes either... I have an expedition with the same driveline (5.4L triton) cant wait to see if it handles the same...
STOWE is offline   Reply With Quote