Go Back   Virginia Krawlers Forums > Tech Talk > Towing

Towing Anything realted to getting your rig to/from the trails. Tow rigs, trailers, etc.

Custom Search

Please assist Virginia Krawlers continue to grow by letting others know that this community of Virginia based wheelers is online. If you post on another off-road forum of any kind, please think about adding a link to VirginiaKrawlers.com in your signature block on those forums. This has proven to be the most effective way to let other off-road enthusiasts know how to find us.

WE HAVE TWO PLACES TO PICK UP VAK MERCHANDISE, CLICK HERE TO CHECK THEM OUT!

Old 08-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
1TN LSYJ
You're eating woodchips!

Send a message via AIM to 1TN LSYJ
Default Input needed for Trailer Accessories

I need some input, I'm making a few modifications to my trailer to get it ready for wheeling, and to be as "perfect" as possible. I'm wanting to add a few things:
A winch/winch plate (and possibly a battery)
A storage box for all the axle/ratchet straps and things for hauling the jeep
A couple tie down points for the jeep
Mounts for the spare tires
Maybe a high lift mount?
Maybe a mount for the spare for the jeep?
Maybe anything else?

For the storage box/winch plate I'm planning on just closing in the open area of the tongue and putting some axle straps and cut down (so there isn't a mile of extra strap that has to be zip tied up) some good ratchet straps that will be only for the jeep.

Also thinking about adding a battery mount on the winch plate

For the tie down points, I'm planning to weld a couple d-rings to the winch plate

I've thought about making the spare tires a couple of mounts up on the front crossbar on the trailer. The part that slides into the stake pockets along the front of the trailer. Just to keep them easily accessible and always there on the trailer if I need them. One on either side of the winch.

Other than that.. I'm looking for suggestions.. before I start adding stuff, I'm going to figure out the plan so that I can make sure that nothing is going to get in the way of anything else.

SOOOOOO, the questions: For all those with trailer queens, or just that do a lot of hauling, what are some things you wish you had on your trailer, or would have been nice to have on the trailer, or that you liked having on the trailer?

Second, I'm thinking about just running a couple cables from one of the batteries on my truck back to the rear bumper and into a connector, that I can plug into another connector that would be on the trailer, hooked to the battery on the trailer... my question is, would that actually charge that trailer battery or what would I need to do to make sure that while I'm driving to/from places, that battery gets charged?

I think thats all I got, for now...
1TN LSYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
LJ4Moose
Mall Crawler

Send a message via AIM to LJ4Moose

So are you going to trailer the Kacie's JK since we all know the TJ is probably never going to be trail ready...
LJ4Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
1TN LSYJ
You're eating woodchips!

har har har.... Moose

Old 08-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
gots_a_sol
Hardcore Rock Krawler

Winch thoughts:

Definitely put attachment points on the front of the trailer. I've only used the winch on mine once, but I was kicking myself for not putting something to tie off to on the front of the trailer for using the snatch block with. I ended up hooking it over the front rail which resulted in a small kink in the winch line.

Spare tire thoughts:

Crawl under your trailer and see if you have room for the spare under the deck. I plan to (someday) get a spare tire winch out of a newer truck and put my spare under the deck.

Or build a storage compartment in the middle of the deck to put in it, just hope you don't need it when you have something with minimal ground clearance loaded up

Battery charging:

The connectors you are talking about are called an Anderson connector. We used that setup to charge the battery in a work machine for years because it was much less of a hassle than fixing the charging circuit in the machine (engine out procedure).

If you mount a battery on the trailer, you won't need as heavy a wire from the truck battery. If you are planning to run the winch from the truck, you will need a pretty heavy wire to carry that kind of current ($$$)

Add reverse lights if you can. That is high on the list of things to do on my enclosed trailer.

'00 Excursion - cummins/nv4500
'54 International

Last edited by gots_a_sol; 08-12-2013 at 10:01 PM.
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Onelow1ton
Mall Crawler

Busy at work right now but I'll add some info later on stuff I want to add to mine
Onelow1ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
amgraham
Parking Lot Hero

I've been thinking and researching on this a lot lately since I recently bought a trailer I'm fixing up..

Winch - I'm thinking about going one of 2 ways on this.
1- Mount a toolbox and cut a hole in the back to mount the winch to a winch plate so the winch is actually mounted inside the box to keep it out of the weather and out of thieves eyes. Then you can easily mount a battery and have everything contained.
2- Mount the winch on a receiver mount and just weld a 2" receiver to the trailer. Then I can just put the winch on there when I need it or use it on the truck also.

I plan to mount a battery either way on mine and just throw a trickle charger on it when I'm not using it. May jump the 12V wire from the breakaway terminal over to the battery to charge while pulling but put it on a switch so it doesn't fry while using the winch. I would think a combo of a battery and a heavy gauge cable and plug on the truck would be the best of both worlds but like has been said cable is expensive and yet another thing you need to swap over if you change trucks, which is why I lean toward self contained and using standard stuff so it works with any pulling vehicle.

Spares - I understand what you are talking about. I would suggest maybe making them removable (like, to fit in a stake pocket and secured by a pin or lock or whatever) so if you ever have to pull anything that would overhang the front, you can just pop the spares off there. I'm planning to do that on the sides unless I decide to run underbelly mounts instead.

Lights - Reverse lights are always nice. The center pin on a 7 pin plug is for that but rarely are they hooked up from the factory. I'm also thinking at some point flush mounting some leds down either side of the center of the deck so you have light under whatever you are strapping down. Some work lights on the front facing back can't hurt either.

Tie down points - You can't have enough. I plan to add a ton to mine.

Storage - Another idea, instead or in addition to boxing the tongue, is boxing the front corners of the trailer. Depending on how yours is built a lot of them have the large beam from the tongue then the deck mounted above that, leaving dead area under the deck in the front corners. Box in that area from the bottom of the beam out and put a door on it and you have a nice place for straps, tools, etc. and it should never get in the way. Like this:

There's a ton of other ideas in this thread but these were my favorites:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-r...r-edition.html
amgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Onelow1ton
Mall Crawler

Things I have found I need on my trailer recently while using it was a winch mounted to it right now I had been un hooking my truck and putting all three jacks down one 10k up front and two 3500lb ones in the rear on each side and using the winch on the truck to pull things up on the trailer untill last week when my winch crapped out on me , but when I mount my trailer winch ill put an anchor beside it and ill also put one on the ass end in the center also to pull shit back off with a snatch block and bring the hook back to the front of what ever I'm dragging off , this would have been nice when I deliverd the bug with 3 flat tires . It was hard as hell to push it back off the trailer

I have a old truck bed tool box I keep on the front of mine that I'm going to mount the winch inside of and I also store all my straps ,jacks ,wheel chocks and locks in . Ill likely put a battery in there and run a charging wire from my 7pin connector so when it's hooked up to the truck it's charging
Here is some info I found just now on a quick search http://www.etrailer.com/question-37012.html

I was originally going to do the Anderson connectors but thought what if someone else uses my trailer or what if its my truck getting winched on the trailer will still need a power source or at least something to help recharge the trailer battery

I still need to pick up some spares for my trailer but I'm going to make something that will drop into the front side stake pockets that I can lock in place you know slow down the honest thief lol

As for a high-lift jack I have one in the bed of my truck but it might be good for you to mount one on the trailer box if your not running with one in the jeep

I know your trailer is a little heavier than mine but having those two jacks on the back corners have been great , I thought they were a dumb option when I got the trailer until I realized I could now load and unload things with out it being hooked to the truck or like I had been doing with turning the truck around and winching heeps on that and when loading something on like Nikki's jk I don't have to worry about it trying to pick the ass of my truck up when I'm first coming up the ramps because its well supported

Ill try and dig up some pix
Old 08-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
Onelow1ton
Mall Crawler

Good idea on the work lights and extra reverse lights I forgot about those but there on my list also , never thought about mounting some in the deck shining up might have to think more on that
Old 08-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
Onelow1ton
Mall Crawler

Old 08-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
1TN LSYJ
You're eating woodchips!

I'm going to reply to everyone's posts at once here...

For the tie down points:

Since its a wood deck trailer, I don't want to just bolt something to the deck. And I don't like using the stake pockets, because the straps end up being pulled too far to the side or just being funky in general, and sometimes they end up wrapped over the edge of the trailer, which starts to rub through them, which scares me.
SO, I've got 4 of these: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Carg...FQya4AodNxMAow
Rather than bolting them on, I'm thinking about welding them to the winch plate so that the front straps will go from them straight back to the axle straps. Then on the rear, I can't go straight back, so I'm thinking I'll put some plate on the corners right before the dovetail, and tie them into the stake pockets to gain some strength, then weld the d-rings to that plate so that the straps will cross, drivers side of the trailer, to pass side of the axle, and pass side of the trailer to the dside of the axle.

The winch:

I'd like to add the winch because I usually end up hauling a lot of things that don't run... makes it a SERIOUS pain to get them on/off the trailer. For what I can pick up a harbor freight winch for, its worth the insurance to always have one on there given how much a PITA it is to get something on/off when it doesn't run. especially since its a pretty tall trailer.

I may also put something on the front, near the winch, and center on the back to hook snatch blocks to if needed. My thoughts are that I could put a snatch block on the rear, run the trailer winch through it, and to the front of whatever is on the trailer to pull it off if it doesn't run. Then the one on the front "just in case".

I thought about putting the winch inside a box of some sort, but it'll be much easier to just build it all flat, and get a cover for the winch. The bolts to hold the winch on will be inside of the box, so getting them off will be a major PITA for a thief. And I think I have enough room to mount a winch and battery all there on the tongue of the trailer.

On the Spare Tires:

The trailer is pretty tall, and there is plenty of room under there to mount the spares, I just thought it would be such a pain to lift them up, bolt them up there, etc etc. BUT that spare tire winch thing is an outstanding idea! maybe I'll look into snagging a couple of them and seeing what I can do... wish I had taken the one from the S10 I had here before it went to scrap now! haha

I also like the idea of making them sort of removable. I like having the front rail thing on the trailer, but normally don't need it. My original plan was to cut out the center support leg, and the center stake pocket (to get it all out of the way of the winch and box) and put the spares on that rail, but I could cut that rail up and just have one leg from each stake pocket on the sides and have the spares attached to them. Maybe weld the leg into the stake pocket and have a lock of some type to hold the tires on.

OR maybe a combo of both ideas, truck spare winches to hold the spares for the trailer under the trailer, then make some type of mount for the jeep to slide into the stake pocket....

For the Battery:

Yup! thats the connectors I was thinking about, how heavy do you think I'd need to keep the battery charged? And do I need to run both the positive and negative from the truck battery back, or could I run just a positive and then ground the battery straight to the trailer?

Also, I have a 7 pin light hookup, and I know one of them is 12v+, to charge the breakaway battery. So two questions there; one, could I use the winch battery that I'm planning on putting in to run the breakaway brakes? and two, can that 12v+ keep a winch battery charged?

Lights:

Reverse lights are a great idea, I think I can sink them into the back of the dovetail, something similar to the lights I've got on the TJ would work.

I also like the idea of work lights... everywhere, haha. I want to at least add some marker lights on the edges of the fenders, right now there aren't any and it gets sketchy at night.

Extra Storage:

I like that idea for storage, but mine doesn't look like that. I'll post up some pics of my trailer tonight.

I thought about putting a truck tool box on it, but I don't have one, and its cheaper to build a small one than to buy a full sized box, and there will be room for all the straps and everything in this small box, so I dunno if its worth it to buy the big box.

reposting this so I remember to check it out tonight

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-r...r-edition.html

My "goal" is to make the trailer as self sufficient as possible so that when I'm ready to go wheeling I can drive the jeep on, strap it down and go (for the most part). But not so focused on hauling the jeep that I can't haul normal stuff too (like my VW).

I'll throw up some pics of the trailer here in a few
Old 08-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
1TN LSYJ
You're eating woodchips!

pics of the trailer:

Old 08-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #12
1TN LSYJ
You're eating woodchips!

well, just found something that says the DOT regs state that it has to have a seperate breakaway battery, so I'll have to keep both batteries I guess.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
AutoTraker
Weekend Warrior

One of the best improvements I've made is an electric trailer jack. Makes it so easy to hook up and unhook even with the trailer fully loaded.
I mounted a battery box on the tongue with a full sized battery to run the jack since you shouldn't draw more than 5 amps from your tow rig unless you do some serious wiring upgrades. I used a 5 amp Hopkins trailer battery charger that will charge the battery when my tow rig is hooked up. Plans are to also use that same battery for a set of work lights, 400w power inverter, compressor, and eventually a small winch.
On my old trailer I welded on 4"x4"x1/4" plates in each corner for weld on D-rings. Gonna do the same on this trailer when I get to it. Good tie downs are a must. I'd like to either beef up the fenders for driving over or make them removable. A set of stabilizers for the back also. I'm currently using a set of jack stands to prop up the back of the trailer or loading and unloading.
Riggory
AutoTraker
Central Virginia Jeepers
90 ChevYota Truggy
96 White XJ
79 Red CJ-5 (For when the XJ is broke)
Gotta have a backup when you drive a Jeep.
(Clint Eastwood: “President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,”)
AutoTraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #14
amgraham
Parking Lot Hero

If my tongue looked like yours I would box everything in and have 3 separate compartments. That is awesome. I also agree on the D-rings. That's next up on mine so I don't have to strap over the rail.

Here is mine (please excuse the lack of straps on the 4Runner. I was only pulling it a mile up the road to the car wash. Also, yes, it shifted all over the place):

amgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
hadfield4wd
Hardcore Rock Krawler

I'll post up a couple of things. I also don't like straps in stake pockets. Not only is it a bad angle but they can rub on a corner and cut right through them. There are a couple of options. One is these. Pretty slick, but a little pricey.

http://www.johnsontrailerco.com/trai...et-d-rings.php

This is what I do on my trailer for tying down the dirt bikes, to eliviate the rubbing/cutting. I don't have pictures, I thought I did. I just hae a 8" length of chain with a hook on it. The hook goes in the stake pocket and the chain loops up and the hook from the strap goes in the other end. I'll take a pic and post it.

I do not like the bolt through ones you posted. Even with a plate underneath. Trailer boards are not held on with many screws and in an accident they would pop right off.

Spare

This is how I did it on my old trailer. Worked great and I could get the tire off pretty quickly My new trailer just has it bolted on the front with a big ubolt.

Spare for jeep just keep on the jeep where you wheel with it.

Tool Box

I would like to have a box on the front of my trailer, but I'm really anal about my straps. I spend a lot of money on straps and ratchets. I dont' want them ruined. If I had a box I would throw them in. They would get crap piled on top of them. And possibly damage them. Water will stay in a box even if it's water resistent. Then they'll get moldy etc. Any inbedded dirt will wear straps out from the inside out. If mine are wet from rain I hang them up until they are dry and store them rolled neatly in my garage.

I also like the idea of rear jacks or stabilizers for loading a vehicle without it being attached to a truck.

Last edited by hadfield4wd; 08-13-2013 at 01:55 PM.
hadfield4wd is online now   Reply With Quote